Instructions for preparation and cooking:
- To make Japanese rice, mix the rice vinegar, salt and sugar in a bowl. Heat it for 30 seconds in a microwave or until the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour this mixture over the cooked rice and gently mix it to combine together.
- Make a few incisions on the underside of the shrimpsand turn them belly-up in order to remain straight after cooking it.
- Cook the shrimps in a boiling water with some salt about 2-3 minutes or until they are opaque and pink. Drain the shrimps and rinse them under cold water.
- Wrap the bamboo mat with food wrap. Spread the Japanese rice evenly on the algae sheet. Turn the sheet over and lay the shrimps, avocado, cucumber, crab sticks, and carrot in the center of the algae sheet.
- From the bottom end, start rolling tightly and firmly an algae sheet over the filling with the bamboo mat until the bottom end reaches the algae sheet.
- Lift the mat and roll it over. Place the mat over the roll and tightly squeeze it. Wrap this roll with a food wrap and using a knife cut it into 8 pieces. After each cut, clean the knife with a wet towel.
- Decorate the sheep mouth,eyes, legs, and horn with black sesame seeds, dried algae sheet and cucumber. Lay some roe on top of it and enjoy the gorgeous view.
If your kids liked this recipe, we suggest you involve them as well the next time you prepare it. They will enjoy the experience 🙂