Although Halloween has passed, that’s not a reason not enjoying the delicious season food. Here is a great Halloween recipe which you would surely like. Get ready for chocolate caramel apples!
To prepare this dessert you need these ingredients:
- 400 g sugar
- 235 g light corn syrup
- 85 g honey
- quarter tspof salt
- two cups of whipped cream
- 42 g unsalted butter, softened and cut into chunks
- 1tbspvanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 to 8small to medium sized apples, cold
- 455 grams chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 140 to 170 g chopped toasted nuts (not necessary)
With this amount of the ingredients you could prepare 6 to 8 chocolate caramel apples.
Instructions for preparation and cooking:
- Mix the sugar, salt, corn syrup and honey in a saucepan with heavy bottom. Cook it over medium heat, stirring until the mixture starts to simmer around the edges of the saucepan. Wash the syrup and sugar from the insides of the pot using a wet pastry brush. Cover the saucepan and continue to cook the mixture for about 3 minutes. Take the cover off the pot and again wash the sides. Place a candy thermometer inside the pot, but don’t let it touch the bottom. Cook the mixture uncovered, without stirring, until it reaches a temperature of 152° C, which takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the whipped cream until it starts to simmer.
- When the mixture with the sugar reaches a temperature of 152° C, turn the heat off. Add the butter and stir. Gradually add in the hot cream while stirring. Turn on the heat under the pot and adjust it so that the mixture starts to boil,but not too much. Continue to cook the mixture, stirring it occasionally, until it reaches a temperature of121° C, which should take about 30 minutes. Then, take the pot off the heat. Add in the vanilla extract and stir. Pour the caramel mixture into a smaller pot. Let it cool down for about 10 minutes.
- Prick each apple with a stick. Hold the apple for the stick and dip it into the caramel, letting the excess caramel to flow back inside the pot. Placeevery apple on a layer of waxed paper. Dothe procedure with each apple. If it’s necessary, reheat the caramel gently (without letting it simmer), and then continue coating the apples. Leave the coated apples aside until the caramel is chilled and firm, which should take at least 30 minutes, or if you don’t have the time, you could place them in the refrigerator.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a bain-marieat nearly simmering water, stirring frequently until it is almost completely melted. Remove the pot from the heat and stir until it completely melts and gets warm, but not hot. Now, dip every apple into the chocolate, letting the excess to flow back inside the pot. Sprinkle with some nuts. Set the coated apples onto abaking pan lined with waxed paper. Placethe apples in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to stiff the chocolate.
Enjoy the next Halloween with this great dessert! 🙂