Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
To prepare this meal you will need the next ingredients:
- 2 lbs fish, cut in serving sizes (you can use any fish you like)
- 2 Chinese cabbages
- 1 cup sliced gourd
- 6-8 cups water
- 1 large onion, cut into slices
- 2 thumbsize pieces of ginger, cut in flat rounds
- 3-4 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
Instructions for preparation and cooking:
- Put all the ingredients, except the Chinese cabbage, in a pot and cook them until they start to boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer the ingredients for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked.
- Add the cabbage, and season the meal with some salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Serve this meal hot with cooked white rice and a dipping sauce of miso or shrimp paste.
Enjoy this meal! 🙂
You can use also chayote and green papaya as vegetables. Just cook them in the soup first before adding the fish because they take longer to cook.
Instead of whole fish, it’s also good to use fish fillets. Just keep in mind that they are quite delicate and cook much faster, so you should cook the soup first before adding the fish.