The dessert that we will show you today is usually ate in the Philippines on family celebrations and gatherings, birthdays, fiestas and even on Christmas and New Year’s eve. So here is a great chance for you to bring some Filipino spirit in Christmas this year.
To prepare this dessert you will need the next ingredients:
• 800 oz coconut milk
• 1 cup of condensed milk
• quarter cup of sugar
• 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
• 1 and 1/4 cup of creamed corn
• 1 and 1/4 cup of cornstarch
• Half a cup of water, or enough to dissolve the cornstarch
For the topping:
• Half a cup of sweetened shredded coconut
With this amount of the ingredients you should get as much as servings for 10-15 persons. Just enough for a complete family celebration 🙂
Instructions for preparation and cooking:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (3500 F).
2. Pour the coconut milk in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
3. Pour in the condensed milk, sweet corn, pure vanilla extract and sugar. Let this mixture boil while continuously stirring for 8 minutes.
4. Dissolve cornstarch in water. Stir it well until all the powder is dissolved.
5. Pour the cornstarch solution slowly in a thin streaming line into the coconut milk mixture. Stir the mixture continuously until it becomes thick evenly.
6. Turn off the heat and transfer the mixture into prepared bowls. Smooth the surface using a wooden spatula.
7. Now it’s time to prepare the toasted coconut topping. To do this, spread the shredded coconut into a baking tray with aluminum foil. Place the tray in preheated oven. Toast it for about 4 minutes then toss the coconut with a wooden spatula and toast it for another 1-2 minutes. Turn off the oven as soon as you see that most of the coconut is browned. Take out the tray with the toasted coconut and sprinkle with it over the dessert.
Enjoy your holidays with this amazing dessert!